Elections and Voter Registration
Dewey Beach Elections and Voter Registration
Voters must be registered by 5:00p.m. on August 17, 2017, i.e., 30 days prior to the election, in order to vote in the 2017 election.
An eligible voter is defined by Town Charter and Code as a person eighteen years of age or older, who:
- Is a bona fide resident and domiciliary of the Town of Dewey Beach, or
- Is an owner of real property within the Town, or
- Holds a valid lease for five years or more on property within the Town, provided that the lease is recorded with the Sussex County Recorder of Deeds, or
- Is both a settler/creator and trustee of a valid trust that is the owner of real property located within the limits of the Town of Dewey Beach. A copy of the sections of the trust document showing the identity of the settler/creator(s) and trustee(s) of the trust and the trust's ownership of the real property, as recorded with the Sussex County Recorder of Deeds, must be on file at Town Hall, and
- Is registered in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 48, Voter Registration and Voting, of the Municipal Code of the Town of Dewey Beach.
Persons who met voter eligibility requirements through Election 2012 are automatically registered to vote. Persons not registered prior to the 2012 election must register by submitting evidence of eligibility to Town Hall at least 30 days prior to the election in which the person wishes to vote. Once registered, a person shall not be required to reregister, provided that person's eligibility status does not change.
Eligible voters may vote by voting machine on Election Day or by absentee ballot obtained prior to Election Day.
For assistance or more information, contact Joyce Pool, Town of Dewey Beach, at 1-302-227-6363 or 1-877-227-6331 (toll free) or the Board of Elections at email@example.com.