Dewey Beach elections are held on the third Saturday of each September, unless this day conflicts with either day of Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) or Yom Kippur (Jewish Day of Atonement). In any year that this occurs, the election is held on the fourth Saturday of September.
In 2020, Election Day is September 26. Polls are open from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Either two or three members of the five-member Board of Commissioners are elected each year to serve two-year terms. The ballot may also include referenda questions, which usually deal with how the Town raises or spends funds. In 2019, three Commissioners must be elected.
Voters must be registered by 5:00p.m. on August 27, 2020, i.e., 30 days prior to the election, in order to vote in the 2020 election.
Town Charter and Code define an eligible voter as a person eighteen years of age or older, who:
- Is a bona fide resident and domiciliary of the Town of Dewey Beach, or
- Is an owner of real property within the Town, or
- Holds a valid lease for five years or more on property within the Town, provided that the lease is recorded with the Sussex County Recorder of Deeds, or
- Is both a settler/creator and trustee of a valid trust that is the owner of real property located within the limits of the Town of Dewey Beach. A copy of the sections of the trust document showing the identity of the settler/creator(s) and trustee(s) of the trust and the trust's ownership of the real property, as recorded with the Sussex County Recorder of Deeds, must be on file at Town Hall.
- Is registered in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 48, Voter Registration and Voting, of the Municipal Code of the Town of Dewey Beach.
Persons not registered must register by submitting evidence of eligibility to Town Hall at least 30 days prior to the election in which the person wishes to vote. Once registered, a person shall not be required to reregister, provided that her or his eligibility status does not change.
Eligible voters may vote by voting machine on Election Day or by absentee ballot obtained prior to Election Day.
In order to receive an absentee ballot, an application LINKED HERE must be submitted and approved. Deadlines apply. If voting by absentee ballot, DO NOT DELAY.