Bonfires on Private property

Bonfires on Private Property

No town permit is required for a bonfire on private property within the town. It should be noted, however, that both the State Fire Marshal and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) have constraints on such activity. 

The State Fire Marshal may declare a burning ban; the status of such a ban may be found by checking their web site at or by calling the local fire department at 302-227-8400 or DNREC at 302-739-9402.

DNREC's restrictions are stated on their website page "Citizen’s Guide to Open Burning."