The original Rehoboth Beach Lifesaving Station was located on the beach end of Dagsworthy Street . The building and one acre of land was conveyed to the United States of America for Coast Guard purposes by a deed dated August 6, 1878 . In 1947 the building was decommissioned under the leadership of Captain Joseph Walker who moved the building to Highway One and made it his home. He and his wife raised three children there. After Capt. Walker's death...
You’ve heard it said that it isn’t the heat, it’s the humidity. Well, in storms, it isn’t always the wind, it’s the water. Although northeasters winds may gust to hurricane strength (74 mph), wind speeds for many Delaware northeasters range from 35-45 mph. The storm surge and increase in tidal heights associated with Nor'easters typically cause the most damage to beaches, dunes, and property. Nor’easters have historically caused higher tides and more damage to the Delaware shore than hurricanes. Nor’easters usually last...
There are some buildings in Dewey that are gone but not forgotten. The old Dewey Inn or Boathouse as it was later known as, is one of them. It stood at the end of Bellevue Street and had a long pier. Many old timers can remember crabbing off that pier.
*In the 1930's the Tindall family operated the Dewey Inn at the site. The inn was a beer garden and dance hall. After that there were a series of restaurants that operated at the site. In the late 40's, early 50's Pierce Cody remodeled the building and ran Pierce Cody's Seafood Restaurant and Captain Hank's Seafood Restaurant.
For a few years in the early '70s, it was once again the Boat House restaurant, operated by Robert Beach. Mr. Beach is now living in Newark...
Dewey Beach History & Tales
The second edition of Dewey Beach History & Tales was compiled and edited by Barbara Quillen Dougherty and published by Hal Dukes. The original book (first edition) was published in 1996.
In addition to numerous updates and historical information, there are many new “tales” about the town. One of these tales concerns a strange fish discovered by John Coady in 1940.
Bob Schnepfe, who so apply wrote the Bottle & Cork article in the first edition, has reported the full story of the Dewey Beach Rebel Reunion in the second edition. Jean Abplanalp has rewritten three very informative articles about Dewey Beach in the 1920’s, 1930’s and 1940’s.
In addition to re-writing her original articles, Barbara Quillen Dougherty has added several new chapters as well as additional Dewey Beach trivia. In this book, she remembers those whose footsteps we follow in the sands of time.
With the addition of sixteen fact-filled pages and one hundred thirty-three new photographs, there are now 144 pages and approximately 300 photographs, maps, postcards and other images.
Available for purchase at Browseabout Books, 133 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach. Copies can also be ordered by sending an email request to DeweyBeachHistory@comcast.net. In addition, Dewey Beach History & Tales can be found on Facebook.