Frequently Asked Questions
No answers matched your search
How do I contact Dewey Beach Staff or Council Members ?
How do I tell a specific council or staff member something?

You can email him/her by clicking on the "email me" link next to their name on the Town Directory Page.

What if I want a comment sent to all council members?

Go to the Town Council page to locate the contact information for all of the Town Council Members information.

I want to let a committee know where I stand on a particular issue they are addressing - how do I do it?

From the homepage hover your mouse over the "Government" tab. The committees are located under the "Your Government" section of the website. Click on the appropriate Committee that you are looking to contact. Please then click on the "contact me" link next to the chairman's name.

How do I arrange to have my comments read into the record at a particular meeting and on a particular subject?

Submit your documents that you would like to have read into the public record at least seventy-two (72) hours in advance of the meeting in writing to Dewey Beach Town Hall. You may also give Public Comment during the "Public Comment" portion(s) of the meetings.

What if I think of something I want to say while the meeting is in progress?

There is a "Public Comment" portion during every Town Council Meeting.

Are their restrooms on the beach?

There are no bath houses on the beach.

Are pets allowed on the beach?

Pets are allowed on the beach all times of the day from September 16th to May 14th and are allowed on the beach before 9:30AM and after 5:30PM from May 15th to September 15th.

Is alcohol permitted on the beach?

Alcohol is not permitted on the beach from May 15th - September 15th or on any public right of way.

Are you permitted to have a bonfire on the beach?

Dewey Beach does permit bonfires on the beach.

Bonfire permits require a fee of $150.00 for non-Dewey Beach property owners (a $50.00 fire fee, plus a $100.00 deposit), and $130.00 for Dewey Beach property owners (a $30.00 fire fee, plus a $100.00 deposit).

The $100.00 deposit can be refunded the following day as long as you completely clean up the fire. If you pay via credit card, you must call Dewey Beach Town Hall to have your deposit refunded as we do not keep your credit card on file.

Can you have a wedding on the beach?

Weddings are allowed on the beach but must be approved by the Town Manager.

  • During the Summer Season, weddings must begin after 5:30 pm.  Set-up can begin after the Lifeguards leave the beach at 5:00 pm.
  • Chairs and canopies are allowed
  • Chairs may not be metal.
  • No closed tents - canopies only.
  • Ceremonies must be 30 minutes or less. Everythhing must be removed from the beach within 30 minutes ofconclusion of the ceremony.

To submit your wedding request, please complete the below form and submit to Dewey Beach Town Hall via mail:

105 Rodney Avenue, Dewey Beach, DE. 19971. Or fax: (302)227-8319.

Is the beach handicapped accessible?

Handicapped beach chairs are available from the Dewey Beach lifeguards. To reserve a chair between the dates of May 15th- September 15th, please call the Lifesaving Station at: (302) 227-6365.

To reserve a chair between the dates of September 16th- May 14th please call Dewey Beach Town Hall at: (302)227-6363

Can you purchase food and drinks on the beach?

 Yes, you can purchase food and beverages on the beach, as well as Planet Ice.

Are beach chairs and umbrellas available on the beach?

Beach chairs and umbrellas are available to rent on the beach during the hours of 9:00A.M. to 5:00P.M., weather permitting

Trash and Recycling
What days are residential trash collection?

Monday and Friday

Where and when can I place trash cans out for collection?

For Friday morning trash pick-up, trash receptacles can be placed on the town right of way on Thursday as early as 5:00 p.m. and must be removed and placed on private (your) property by 8:00 p.m. on Friday.   For Monday morning trash pick-up, trash receptacles can be placed on the town right of way on Sunday after noon as early as 12 noon and must be removed and placed on private (your) property by 5:00 p.m. on Monday.

Do the trash companies offer a back door service?

Yes.  Back door service is a service whereby the trash company will pick up, empty, and return your trash at a designated area on your property, where you would normally place your containers.  This is something you may wish to discuss with them, if you are unable to move your trash back to your private property.

Can I use plastic bags for trash and leave them next to the trash receptacles?

No.  The town has received numerous complaints of birds and animals tearing into the plastic bags and having trash spread throughout the area.   All trash must be placed in an authorized rigid trash receptacle.  Check with your trash vendor, if you need additional receptacles.

I seem to have more recyclable waste than regular trash. what can I do to address this?

As recyclable waste is collected every other week, you can request additional waste receptacles from your trash service.

If I have more than one rental property, does each of them have to have a trash collection service?

Yes.  Each individual and separate rental property must have a trash service connected to the property.  If you have two or more rentals on one property, you must have sufficient containers available from the trash service to handle the collection of waste.

Why is there a trash ordinance?

Over the past several years the Town Commissioners have heard from many property owners voice their concern regarding trash cans left out on the public right of way for an inordinate amount of time.  Besides being unsightly, in many cases when plastic bags are left out of the receptacles, birds and animals tear into them causing spillage out on the street and onto the property of others and often contributes to uninvited pests collecting in Town.  Leaving trash cans on public property also reduces available parking.  Additionally, having differing days and very early times to collect trash among all the trash companies has been a concern. With this in mind, the Town Commissioners passed a Trash Ordinance to alleviate these problems.  

Where can I view the trash ordinance?

Please follow the link;

Who should I call if I notice a trash problem?

Town of Dewey Beach at (302) 227-6363 or (877) 227-6331 (toll free).   

Does Dewey Beach require a dog license?

Yes, Dewey Beach does require a dog license. 

The following license options are available:

  • Lifetime license (good for the life of the dog):  $35
  • 8-day license:  $10
  • 3-day license:  $5

Dog licenses are available to be purchased at Dewey Beach Town Hall. The 3-day and 8-day license can be purchased at the kiosk at the corner of the Town Hall parking lot. The kiosk is available to use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It accepts credit cards and cash, but if you're paying cash, please pay with exact change as the machine does not give change. The lifetime license will need to be purchased in Town Hall during normal business hours.

I understand parking passes are required in Dewey Beach. Where and when can I purchase them?

Parking Permits are only required from May 15th-September 15th.

You can purchase parking permits at Dewey Beach Town Hall (105 Rodney Avenue, Dewey Beach, DE. 19971). Seasonal Parking Permits are available for purchase Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9am-5pm. Week, weekend and daily permits are available for purchase 24/7 at the kiosk in front of the Town Hall parking lot.

When do you need a parking permit?

You must either pay ParkMobile, park at a parking meter, or display a parking permit when parking in Dewey Beach from May 15th to September 15th between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.   Parking is free Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at permit and metered spaces.

When utilizing a parking permit, please ensure you are in a designated parking permit location (there are signs located throughout town), Permits are not valid at parking meters.

Business and Rental Licenses
How do I purchase a business license?

Business licenses may be obtained at Dewey Beach Town Hall Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 9AM-5PM.

I want to rent my Dewey Beach home. What do I need to do?

To rent your Dewey Beach home you must complete a residential rental application, make the appropriate payment, and recieve your business license. The residential rental license year begins on April 1st of each year and ends on March 31st.

Accommodations Tax
How does one make payment on Accommodations Tax?

Please complete the Accommodations Tax payment form. Once completedd, please return to: Dewey Beach Town Hall, 105 Rodney Avenue, Dewey Beach, De. 19971

What is an "Accommodations Tax" that you have to pay if you rent your place to someone?

Under 167-16 of the municipal code of the Town of Dewey Beach, payment of the Accommodations Tax is the responsibilty of the provider of the Accommodations. The Town is responsible for providing this form to be used by the provider of the Accommodations to calculate the amount of Accommodations Tax due to the Town.

Time due: Accommodations Tax due on accommodations provided between October 1 and March 31 of the year shall be remitted to the Town by April 15, or on the next business day if the 15th is not on a business day. Accommodations Tax due on accommodations provided between April 1 and September 30 of the year shall be remitted to the Town by October 15, or on the next business day if the 15th is not on a business day.

Where can I find a place to stay in town?

We suggest you look at the web site of the Rehoboth Beach - Dewey Beach Chamber of Commerce 

Are there many restaurants in town?

Yes, quite a few. The Chamber of Commerce site should give you a good idea, although there are many in town not listed. There are also carry-out places.  Given the width of the town - two blocks wide most of it's length - a place to eat is always withing walking distance.

Is there wifi in town?

There is no town-wide wifi at this time, although several businesses have it installed, and many rental unit owners provide the service.